Friday, September 5, 2008

Love and civil rights

You know, I have to say that I have never been one of the typical teenagers who is obsessed with dating someone. All of my friends back in the states have always had their hearts (and sometimes beds haha) occupied with love for and from another kid from school. But lately (especially far from the possibility) I have come to realize how lonely I am. I mean I am so lucky to be living the life I do. I have many friends who care about me, I have a family who loves me, I am living in Egypt (how many kids can say that?), and I am going to one of the best schools in the world! But. Something is missing. I long that feeling that comes with romance and intimacy with that special person. And now that I am living in a country where up until recently it was illegal for two men to be together, I feel the longing even more. I hope it will happen someday...... I dream....

I came across an article that explains the events of the 2001 arrests made on the Queen Boat here in Egypt. They raided the boat and arrested 55 men accused of breaking obscenity and morality laws due to their sexual orientation.



The original author of this article, Hossam Bahgat, a freelance journalist, was international relations coordinator for the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights (EOHR), referred to in the section, "Going with the Flow." Bahgat was fired from the EOHR one day after this piece appeared on the grounds that he should not criticize his organization in public, and that the piece's byline identifying his place of employment implied that EOHR endorsed the piece's content.

This was very sad to read: "many human rights activists volunteered to express homophobic views to the press, and attacked the international organizations who took more positive positions (one has even decided to write a book about how gay rights are not really human rights)"

Take a look at the article.

No comments: